in last 3 months, i have been fixing clients', friends', and families' computers totaling over a dozen times. all of them have similar (same?) problem. too much virus and/or other malware load as soon as windows start up and eats up so much resources that your cpu is always > 30% even that you just start up windows and have not start any other apps yet. so, even with pentium4 dual core or core2 duo, the computer still very very slow running any other apps.
many of them wont let you start taskman, command prompt and regedit. when you try to start one of those, it get closed instantly, or maybe your computer just reboot or just give you dummy command prompt that nothing can be done or displaying regedit in notepad, etc... some even reboot your computer when i open free.grisoft.com or other antivirus sites.
so, here i am trying to prevent thing repeats so maybe i can get less call for all the same problems again...
here's some steps you need to take to secure your windows:
- as soon as windows installed, create some users:
- Administrator: default administrator users. give a good password so that no one else can use this without your approval. better yet, never use this account unless very needed to.
- admin: give it 'Power Users' group and remove 'Administrators' group. give it good password. use it only to install apps.
- yournamehere: give it 'Users' group and remove 'Administrators' group. you use this login on daily basis
- guest: default guests account to let your guests use your pc